Tooth Bonding in Houston
Tooth bonding is a cosmetic dental procedure for improving and restoring smiles. In a tooth bonding procedure, resin colored to match the surrounding teeth is applied to the target area. Once shaping is complete, the resin is cured with a specialized, high-intensity light. Tooth bonding is a relatively fast dental procedure and suitable for a number of applications, including:
- Repairing broken or damaged teeth. Damage caused by cavities, tooth decay, and trauma can often be repaired with a tooth bonding procedure.
- Reversing tooth discoloration. Tooth bonding is often selected for reversing tooth discoloration due to staining.
- Cosmetic smile adjustments. Filling gaps between teeth, changing tooth shape, and altering tooth length are all possible with tooth bonding.
- Protecting teeth and tooth roots. Tooth bonding can be utilized for protecting exposed roots due to gum recession or other oral damage.
Compared to alternative restoration procedures, tooth bonding can be a fast and relatively low-cost dental solution. Tooth bonding procedures tend to be fast, are completed in a single visit and generally require no anesthesia.
The Tooth Bonding Procedure
The first step to achieving the smile you want is a consultation in our Houston office, located in the Galleria. During a tooth bonding consultation, Dr. Barras can recommend potential solutions tooth bonding can offer. If tooth bonding is right for you, Dr. Barras will take this opportunity to match the tooth color with a resin.
- Tooth Bonding
The number of visits necessary to complete a tooth bonding depends on the number of teeth affected, and extent of the changes or restoration. For single-tooth procedures, tooth bonding is typically accomplished within a single visit.
- Preparation for tooth bonding is limited and will depend on the purpose of the bonding. The surface of the tooth will be lightly scored creating a rough surface increasing the strength of the bond between the tooth and resin. If anesthesia is necessary, there may be a small amount of additional preparation time while the anesthesia takes effect.
- During the bonding process, the resin is applied to the tooth or teeth. Previously color matched, the resin is shaped to the desired outcome. Upon achieving the right shape and contour, the resin is cured with light. After the resin has hardened, the bond will be further shaped to achieve fine detail. Typically, procedures are completed in under an hour.
- Following a tooth bonding, it’s possible to jump right back into the day. Once the resin is cured, a tooth bond becomes an extension of your teeth. It’s recommended to avoid foods which stain, and tobacco, for up to 48 hours following a tooth bonding. Immediately following a bonding procedure, the resin is at an increased risk for staining. Tooth bonds can be susceptible to increased damage if used to chew excessively hard foods; exercising care is recommended.
Long-term care for resin tooth bonds is similar to that for natural teeth. Brushing and flossing at least twice per day is recommended, and care should be taken to avoid damaging the bonds through trauma through bites and other impacts. Regular dental checkups can help prolong the lifespan of teeth and cosmetic treatments. Due to natural wear, some tooth bonds may require replacement over time.
Is Tooth Bonding Right for Me?
To find out if tooth bonding is the right solution for you, contact Dentistry by John Barras, DDS in Houston today. During your consultation, Dr. Barras will be able to recommend the correct course of action for achieving the smile you desire. Tooth bonding is one of several cosmetic procedures available for restoring and improving smiles and tooth appearance. Generally, tooth bonding is recommended for spot repairs and adjustments to teeth, while deeper repairs may require alternative treatments.
To learn more about tooth bonding and other cosmetic dental procedures available in Houston, call (713) 993-9814 today.