Preventive Dental Care in Houston
Prevention is key to maintaining your smile.
Thinking ahead and taking the necessary precautions to fight disease and tooth decay should be a top priority. Our Houston dentists want to be sure you maintain your healthy smile and gums for years.
Here are some tips as well as trivia to get you thinking:
- Drinking sodas through a straw helps avoid direct contact with teeth, preventing tooth decay.
- Don’t brush immediately after drinking soda (the acids produced by soda could harm enamel), rinse with water first, then brush.
- Eat foods low in sugars and carbohydrates. Bacteria in the mouth metabolizes these sugars and produce acids that alter PH levels in your mouth, and eventually de-mineralize tooth enamel causing cavities.
- People who keep their original teeth their entire lives, live an average of 10 years longer than those who wear dentures.
- Recent reports show that infections in the mouth can affect major organs.
- Seeing a dentist every six months will help identify gum or tooth disease in the early stages.
- Make sure you brush twice a day and floss daily.
- Statistics courtesy of the Academy of General Dentistry
PERIODONTA DISEASE TESTING
Periodontal disease, often referred to as gum disease, is a fairly common condition that can lead to tooth loss, bleeding and swollen gums and bad breath. There are two many types of gum disease: gingivitis and periodontitis. Approximately 50% of Americans have gingivitis.
DENTISTRY by john barras dds offers two tests for detecting and treating periodontal disease. The MyPerioPath test is used for patients whom already have gum disease. This test will indicate which bacteria triggered the disease. By pinpointing the bacteria, our team can give more personalized treatment options for more predictable outcomes.
MyPerioID is a test used to indentify individuals whom have a genetic susceptibility to gum disease. By proactively fighting periodontal disease, patients will have a lower risk factor for developing serious problems.
Both tests are easy, quick and simple. Patients swish a saline solution in their mouth and spit into a tube. The results are sent to a lab for testing. Once testing is finished, our team will contact you to go over your results and next steps.