Preventive Dental Care in Houston
Prevention is key to maintaining your smile.
Thinking ahead and taking the necessary precautions to fight disease and tooth decay should be a top priority. Our Houston dentists want to be sure you maintain your healthy smile and gums for years.
Here are some tips as well as trivia to get you thinking:
- Drinking sodas through a straw helps avoid direct contact with teeth, preventing tooth decay.
- Don’t brush immediately after drinking soda (the acids produced by soda could harm enamel), rinse with water first, then brush.
- Eat foods low in sugars and carbohydrates. Bacteria in the mouth metabolizes these sugars and produce acids that alter PH levels in your mouth, and eventually de-mineralize tooth enamel causing cavities.
- People who keep their original teeth their entire lives, live an average of 10 years longer than those who wear dentures.
- Recent reports show that infections in the mouth can affect major organs.
- Seeing a dentist every six months will help identify gum or tooth disease in the early stages.
- Make sure you brush twice a day and floss daily.
- Statistics courtesy of the Academy of General Dentistry
Find Out Your Risks for Oral HPV and Gum Disease with 1 Swish
With a simple swish of a sterile saline solution in your mouth, Houston dentist Dr. Barras can test your risk for oral cancer and periodontal disease. Based on the results, Dr. Barras can prepare a treatment plan or refer you to a medical doctor.
HPV & THROAT CANCER
Human papillomavirus, commonly called HPV, is one of the most common virus groups in the world. According to the CDC, almost every sexually active person will acquire HPV at some point in their lives. Oral HPV is a manifestation of the HPV virus in the mouth. Specific types of oral HPV are now considered to be separate and serious risk factor for developing oral cancer. In fact, HPV is the fastest growing risk factor for oropharyngeal (throat) cancer– outpacing tobacco and alcohol use. Early detection is critical because early oral HPV infections typically do not show any clinical or physical signs. Oral cancer can go undetected.
When you visit our office, you can now be tested for HPV in a quick 1-minute procedure. Our hygienist will give you a saline solution that you’ll swish in your mouth and spit into a tube. The saliva solution will be sent to a lab for analysis. The results will indicate whether you have the oral HPV infection and levels of it. The OraRisk® HPV test is an easy solution to helping detect cancer early.
PERIODONTA DISEASE TESTING
Periodontal disease, often referred to as gum disease, is a fairly common condition that can lead to tooth loss, bleeding and swollen gums and bad breath. There are two many types of gum disease: gingivitis and periodontitis. Approximately 50% of Americans have gingivitis.
DENTISTRY by john barras dds offers two tests for detecting and treating periodontal disease. The MyPerioPath test is used for patients whom already have gum disease. This test will indicate which bacteria triggered the disease. By pinpointing the bacteria, our team can give more personalized treatment options for more predictable outcomes.
MyPerioID is a test used to indentify individuals whom have a genetic susceptibility to gum disease. By proactively fighting periodontal disease, patients will have a lower risk factor for developing serious problems.
Both tests are easy, quick and simple. Patients swish a saline solution in their mouth and spit into a tube. The results are sent to a lab for testing. Once testing is finished, our team will contact you to go over your results and next steps.