Houston Dental Veneers
Porcelain veneers (also known as dental porcelain laminates) are used to quickly and easily improve the appearance of teeth. Porcelain veneers are small, light, tooth-colored caps that fit over existing teeth, improving their visual appearance. Porcelain dental veneers by Dr. Barras are a fast and easy way to improve the look of:
- Stained or discolored teeth
- Broken or chipped teeth
- Crooked or misshapen teeth
A comfortable smile will do wonders for your attitude and self-confidence. Veneers are easily applied, look real, and are made to blend in with your other teeth. Unlike a crown, veneers do not cover the entire tooth – only the visible portion. They can help you to brighten, straighten, and tighten your smile quickly, easily, and painlessly.
What is the Porcelain Veneer Procedure?
The procedure for veneers is simple consisting of a consultation first, followed later by the professional application of your porcelain veneers.
- Your porcelain veneer procedure begins with your consultation at Dr. Barras’ office. During your consultation Dr. Barras will discuss your expectations and goals, explain the veneer procedure, and inform you of the typical results you can expect. Once you have outlined your personal goals Dr. Barras will order veneers of appropriate size and shade to create the smile you desire.
- Once your veneers are ready Dr. Barras will apply them firmly over your existing teeth, in perfect arrangement, providing you with results you can immediately enjoy. Some patients will also choose to have porcelain veneers applied to their surrounding teeth as well in order to achieve perfect uniformity of color and shade in their entire smile. Porcelain veneers are applied during relatively fast dental procedures. Your goals, the existing condition of your teeth and gums, and the quantity of veneers applied will all affect the duration of your procedure.
Will Veneers Work for Me?
Porcelain veneers are an excellent solution for anyone with cracked, stained, dark, discolored, chipped, or unevenly spaced teeth! Porcelain veneers can be applied to a single tooth or across your entire smile, giving you a great deal of control over your teeth, and over how they look.
Discolored or damaged teeth are the frustrating results of many factors, including:
- Previous dental procedures
For many patients chipped, gapped, or discolored teeth lead to giving fewer smiles and reduced self-confidence. Veneers can help overcome these obstacles by providing a straight, bright, and white smile you’ll be happy to show. During your consultation Dr. Barras will review your expectations and show you how veneers can help you get the new – but natural-looking – smile you’ve always wanted.
Are Porcelain Veneers better than Teeth Whitening?
If you’re looking to whiten your teeth veneers may be the solution for you. Veneers will brighten even the darkest teeth, which may be resistant to other forms of teeth whitening. Teeth whitening procedures will brighten your natural teeth but those teeth will remain at risk for staining again, over time. Porcelain veneers are engineered to never stain – even from coffee or cigarette smoke.
Veneers can be applied across your entire smile in one uniform shade of white for complete continuity of color across your teeth. You can address any imperfections in tooth shape or spacing with the application of veneers. Ultimately you should consult with Dr. Barras to see if veneers are the right teeth whitening option for you.
Porcelain Dental Veneers: Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long will veneers last?
A: Veneers are made of high-quality materials made to last for 7-20 years, depending on the patient. Personal care, lifestyle habits, and gum health will all affect the lifespan of your veneers.
Q: How are veneers applied?
A: Veneers are placed over the visible portion of an existing tooth and attached with a very strong bond. In some instances the teeth covered by the veneer may need to be sculpted or reduced in size, in order for the veneer to be properly attached and aligned.
Q: Are veneers painless?
A: Veneers are easily applied directly over existing teeth. If an existing veneer must be removed beforehand, Dr. Barras uses laser technology for pain-free removal. In the case a tooth must be sculpted to better incorporate the veneer, Dr. Barras uses a combination of local anesthetic and the latest in traditional drilling techniques.
Q: Will my teeth be unevenly white after veneers?
A: Dr. Barras will match the shade of your teeth as closely as possible but there may be a difference in the brightness or whiteness between your veneers and your natural teeth. Patients will often choose to have more veneers applied for a perfect color match across the smile, or opt for a whitening procedure in addition to their veneers, brightening their natural, still-visible teeth for a closer shading match.